Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hello,

Here is another fine selection of tracks for you to devour, again all the tracks have their Album details as "Sonic Sandwiches" so you can just download them all and stick 'em on your ipod/mp3 player and listen to them when you want, this way you don't just hear them through your crappy laptop speakers.... let's get going;

This song is pretty special, I'm a big fan of acoustic singer/songwriters such as Elliott Smitt, Bon Iver, Bright eyes and the likes, and this guy can stand up against the best of 'em. While most of his stuff is is very simple with either a guitar or piano he also plays in a few other bands and projects such as Norfolk & Western and She & Him. He is only 22 years old as well.

While searching for new tunes, this guy's name just kept popping up and for good reason, he makes ridiculously lush Electronica (some would call it techno?), a lot of tracks get slapped together and rushed out but give this track a listen and you can tell that this guy spends a lot of time perfecting each little sound. A real builder.

Someone mentioned to me that a good few of the tracks I've been putting up here on the blog are "long" Well this groove bomb weights in at almost 12 minutes and I think it's all the better for it, it's a disgrace that radio/tv have forced song writers to try and keep it under 4 min.... it's a joke. Oh yeah, in case you didn't know Marvin Gaye is amazing.

Cramps - Human Fly
To balance things up, this song is barely over 2 minutes long, but it gets the job done in the time..... The Psychobilly rockers at their best, if you were going to have a Halloween party, these guys would be the band I would recommend!

I'm a big fan of punk, but it's one of those genres when you have to really search for the great bands, obviously Punk was originally a UK thing, but I think some of the best stuff came out of the states in the sort of "Post Punk" era of the mid-to-late 80's. I first heard this track about 12 years ago on a BMX video and it still rocks.

Beastie Boys are one of those bands that are pretty much allowed to do what ever they want musically and it's because they pull it off. They genre-jump more than any band that I know and they still managed to sound amazing. I'll never forget arriving at a gig of theirs years back and hearing them break into "Sure Shot" the entire place and myself went absolutely nuts! They have a new album coming out in September called "Hot Sauce Committee" Oh yeah.

I've seen LCD Soundsystem live a good few times and they always play into a song after "Yeah!" (which is a event in it's self) the first time I heard it I could not put my finger on what it was and kinda forgot about it, but then one day I was randomly flicking though my Ipod and there it was! I actually had it on my Ipod as "Carl Craig - Throw" but it was released under one of his aliases "Paperclip People". Such a great rolling bassline and people this bad boy is 15 minutes long. Get it into you Cynthia .

When I was a nipper I used to buy loads of music videos, just bands playing live for 1-2 hours and I could watch them for hours absorbing every little bit of it, and it was really the only way you could see what a band was like live apart from actually going to the gig. Now however by the time you get home from a gig some guy (probably me) has uploaded all the best bits to youtube.... which is great in one way, but did you see the Daft Punk coachella videos of them laying waste in their Pyramid before you went to see them? Imagine seeing that show with no idea what was gonna happen. Yeah. Talking heads made one in 1983 called "Stop Making Sense" and it puts every other concert video to shame, I wont bother trying to explain any of it, but it would be worth going out of your way to see it, even just for David Byrnes slick dancing.

A friend played this song for me at a party a few months back and it has been on constant rotation since, The opening cello piece caught my ears straight away and it is repeated though out the whole song on guitar, bass and cello again. Lou Reed has always been a bit of a unknown entity in my books, after the Velvet Underground he never really got it together enough to better their work but to me this track may just have gone and done that. Epic.

Here is another Techno track for you, while John Tejada's was a slow builder which doesn't really drop till around 3 minutes in, this track is an all out, end-of-night stormer which should really come with a health warning. Play loud. Play very loud.

As you may have guessed from previous updates, I love my Ragga & Dance Hall! This track was released in 1985 and was a missive hit in Jamaica and it's riddem has been sampled to death but I still think this is one of the best modern reggae tracks.

A bit of a one-hit-wonder but this track from Biz Markie is brilliant fun, he pours his heart out about getting burned by a girly he liked....... Can't see 50 Cent laying it all out like this.

Probably best known by most as covering "People are Strange" by The Doors on the Lost Boys oundtrack (or is that just me?) Echo & the Bunnymen only have a few real gems but in my opinion this is the best of them. You might recognise it from the film Donnie Darko.

One of my all time favorite bands in Broken Social Scene, they have such a unique and identifiable sound, their albums are works of aural art and live, they are one punch, knock-out good! If you were going to pick out one of their 19 members to be a fully fledged credible pop star, Leslie Feist is the one. Yummy.

A few people have been contacting me through blogger, if you want to email me directly it's sonicsandwiches@gmail.com - Keep the comments coming down below though!

Sound,

Sean.


No comments:

Post a Comment