Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunstroke......

Four songs for you aural pleasure today.......

This is a picture I took of a cool little shopping arcade in Melbourne city centre.

Camera Obscura - Eighties Fan
(Right Click & Save as)
A few weeks back I went to see Camera Obscura live in town. It was a pretty special gig, a nice and small venue with a great sound system and the crowd were loving it. Towards the end of the show they played a song I hadn't heard before but everyone else was singing along like it was their biggest hit, I asked a girl beside me and she said it was "Eighties Fan" from their first album, I obviously pretended that I knew what she was talking about, not wanting to look foolish....
I considered myself to be a pretty big fan, but I had somehow completely missed their first album.... It was like finding the last slice of chocolate cake someone had put aside for me when I thought it was all gone.




What do you get when you mix Dancehall and American Hardcore Punk? A pretty filthy soundclash, that's what. Take the grinding, rolling guitar riff from Black Flags song "Six Pack" and add a Jamaican Dancehall legend (Cutty Ranks) and top it all off with a great big dirty bassline.... Oh and start it all off with a intro from an old Clash song! Good Work Diplo.





You know TV programs like CSI, Nunb3rs, dexter etc, they normally look for "Current Songs" to have playing in the background while the characters do their thing to show that they are "down" & "with it" Well, one of those songs you hear alot in those types of programs is a song called "The Funeral" by Band Of Horses, it's an amazing song and isn't one to suffer too much from overplay but the band have another amazing song from the same album called "Our Swords" Well worth checking out.




This is one of those songs that 99% of people will have heard and rocked out to at somestage in their bedroom (last week?) Eric Clapton lays down one of the most epic guitar riffs, It was released the same year as Hendrix released Are you Experienced? and you can certainly hear similarities.......



Please feel free to leave comments below,

Sean.

No comments:

Post a Comment